David Wright House in Phoenix saved
January 21, 2013
In late December the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy announced that a buyer was found for Frank Lloyd Wright’s David and Gladys Wright House (1950–1952) in Phoenix, AZ. An anonymous benefactor stepped forward to secure the purchase of the house for an undisclosed amount. The property will be transferred to an Arizona nonprofit organization responsible for the restoration, maintenance and operation of the House. Wright’s design utilizes a circular spiral plan similar to his Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (opened in 1959), which was conceived during the same period of the architect’s career. Until last December, the house’s future had been in question. A pair of local developers had acquired the property for a steal in June 2012 with the intention of splitting the lot for two house sites.
“David Wright House Saved” Press Release (PDF)