Preservation easement to protect Eliot Noyes-designed Graham House
February 23, 2013
Thanks to the heedfulness and goodwill of its commissioning owner, Robert Graham, one of Eliot Noyes’ most distinct private residences is now protected indefinitely. The Graham House (1969) in Stamford, CT, is the 84th privately-owned property (and fourth mid-century Modern) to be protected under the Historic New England Stewardship Easement Program. The Graham House easement will permanently protect the home’s exterior, its important interior features, and nearly ten acres of its impressive and dramatic natural setting.
Eliot Noyes (1910–1977), a member of the Harvard Five, completed designs for the house in 1966. It consists of two fieldstone-and-concrete walls that create a central hallway with rooms cantilevered outside the walls, floating over the landscape with views defined by carefully placed windows. The exterior appears to rise from the natural rock outcropping of the site and incorporates stones from old fieldstone walls on the property, large panes of glass, and vertical board siding stained brown. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.