New digital archive of Albert Ledner, Maritime Union architect
July 21, 2013
The office records of New Orleans modernist architect Albert C. Ledner has been digitized and made accessible to the public thanks to the efforts of Tulane University’s Southeastern Architectural Archive.
A devotee of Frank Lloyd Wright’s principles of Organic Architecture after his apprenticeship at Taliesin in 1948, Ledner is best known for experimenting with the forms and patterns found in nature and applying them to buildings of concrete and other non-organic materials. Yet, his designs made no attempt to mimic or blend into natural surroundings.
Ledner left his mark on New York with three buildings for the National Maritime Union, the most recognizable being the 1963 Curran/O’Toole Building (formerly the headquarters of the Union) and the 1966 portholed dormitory on Ninth Avenue at 17th Street, which was reborn as the Maritime Hotel in 2003.