Support DOCOMOMO

Become a Member

Events July 2012

LocalExhibition

A Long-Awaited Tribute: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Usonian House and Pavilion

July 27, 2012
through February 13, 2013

On October 22, 1953, “Sixty Years of Living Architecture: The Work of Frank Lloyd Wright” opened in New York on the site where the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum would eventually be built. Two Frank Lloyd Wright-designed buildings were constructed specifically to house the exhibition: a temporary pavilion made of glass, fiberboard and pipe columns; and a 1,700-square-foot, fully furnished, two-bedroom, model Usonian house representing Wright’s organic solution for modest, middle-class dwellings.

This presentation, comprised of selected materials from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Archives, pays homage to these two structures. Aware of his lack of architectural recognition in New York City prior to the 1953 exhibition, Wright declared: “this house and the pavilion alongside it…represent a long-awaited tribute: the first Wright building[s] erected in New York City.”

July 27 through February 13, 2013
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Fifth Avenue at East 88th Street
Exhibition website

flw_usonianhouse-guggenheim-330
Rendering of the Pavilion. Courtesy the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

0



Week of July 22nd